Monday, June 26, 2006

While I'm Out...

Even if it was likely that there was going to be another post here tomorrow – and let’s be honest, history is not on my side – it’s not going to happen. Instead I’m going to London to see Death Cab. I booked the tickets months ago on the off chance I could afford it by now. I’ve even been trying to line up an interview with the band that I could sell, and thereby make the trip profitable, or at least stem the haemorrhage on my bank account. Fair dues to Atlantic Records – they were more than willing to accommodate me. Unfortunately, and for a wide variety of reasons, I couldn’t sell it. I really can’t afford this trip. But screw it – I’m going anyway.

Incidentally, almost anytime I travel I leave the hotel reservations until the last minute – generally you get cheaper rooms that way. You won’t necessarily get a ridiculously cheap room, but you might get a nicer room for your money. Anyway this time, as always, I was working on the assumption that there was no big events going on in London this week that might cause hotels to fill up quickly. Some of you may see where this is going already.

Sodding Wimbledon.

Still, I got something near Marble Arch – which is pretty cool, because I can walk pretty much anywhere I want to go (apart from the gig, which is in Brixton). And I didn’t get horribly ripped off. Which is nice. I’ll tell all about the gig – maybe with pictures, but no promises – when I get back.

Anyway, to keep you amused in my absence:

NBC have a 6 minute preview of Aaron Sorkin’s new show ‘Studio 60 On Sunset Strip’ on their website. It looks tremendous – I was a big fan of ‘The West Wing’ and ‘Sports Night’ and this seems to combine the best of both. It doesn’t hurt that there are a lot of familiar faces in the cast. Anyway, you can watch the preview by clicking here…

Seeing as we’re linking to stuff, I was told about a variation on the ‘Facts About Chuck Norris’
viral that was going around a while back – ‘The World According to Jack Bauer’. They’re not all exactly original – some of them are just the Chuck Norris ‘facts’ with the name changed – but they’re still a hoot.

Final links for today are for the excellently wry ‘Too Much Coffee Man’ comic strip and for Mark Hoppus’ (formerly of Blink 182) blog and podcast ‘Hi My Name Is Mark’. I really want a TMCM t-shirt, by the way. Warrants mentioning. I’ll probably put a permanent link to TMCM on the sidebar, too.

Well done to my cousin Ian, by the way – although his band, Revolution for Dogs didn’t win the national finals of the Emergenza new bands competition, he was named Best Lead Guitarist for the competition. Well deserved, I say…

I did mention that I’ll be adding a permanent link to ‘Too Much Coffee Man’ in the near future, but what I’ll also be adding to this space is a little bit in the way of my own contact details. With a bit of luck you’ll soon be able to download a version of my CV – for obvious reasons I don’t want to publish my entire contact details – and some samples of what I can do as a sub-editor. Hopefully then someone will hire me. If (in all seriousness) you want these details before they wind up here, drop me a line here…

Anyway, short and all as this has been, I’m going to sign off now. I’ll be back later in the week to share my London experiences…