Sunday, July 30, 2006

Big Ideas

Jay-Z had 99 Problems. I got 43 things.
Okay, at time of writing I have 17, though I’m adding to this real soon.
Perhaps I should explain. I somehow – don’t ask how – came across a nifty little website called 43things.com. Maybe you know about this already. It’s kind of an on-line diary of goals and ambitions. You can list all the things – however ridiculous – you’d like to do, and keep an on-line diary of your attempts to do them, get advice from people who’ve been down the same road before, and rate the experience as ‘Totally Worth It’ or ‘Not Worth It’ when done. I’ve got 17 so far. Some of mine are pretty mundane, some less so. You’d could argue that at least one of them is f-wording nuts, and not something I’ll even try to do. You can see what I’m talking about by clicking here, or on the link at the side of the page.
What’s good is that they don’t necessarily have to be something you’ll ever get to do, or would ever actually go through with. What I found most surprising about the site so far is the number of people on the site whose ambition it is to sleep with My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way (personally I thought the last good eyeliner-wearing male lead singer was Brian Molko of Placebo, but there you go.) Anyway, it’s a good, fun way to keep track of your ambitions and, for the voyeuristic among you, to spy on everyone else’s.
Fun times if you’re near a HMV these days – there’s a decent sale on! I got the latest Pearl Jam album (no, I didn’t have it before this) and ‘The Rules of Attraction’ on DVD (which, incidentally, was only 3.99). Good times all round.
Also saw ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ over the weekend – both of the movies. I’d seen the first one in the cinema before, but was sick at the time and as a result I hated it. I couldn’t understand why everyone else was singing its praises when I’d just had one of the most miserable two hours of my life. Anyway, I saw it again – healthy this time - and loved it. Then saw the second one the next night and – despite being pretty much more of the same – loved it too. Great fun.

Incidentally, can we just say it out loud that the films, plot-wise, are remarkably similar to the ‘Monkey Island’ computer games from the early nineties? I’ve had this conversation with my buddy JB, and as far as I remember he concurs. Orlando Bloom even looks vaguely like Guybrush Threepwood.
That’s it for the moment – I know it’s been a short one today, but I *will* be back with more during the week.
Until then…